At Esthetica MD in Englewood, New Jersey, just across the river from Manhattan, we offer a number of solutions for reducing your enlarged pores.
Enlarged pores don’t constitute a medical concern, since they can’t negatively affect your health. But you may wish to treat them to get smoother, clearer-looking skin. Although you may have a genetic predisposition to enlarged pores, they’re usually caused by trapped dirt and excess oil that clog your pores.
One of the areas where enlarged pores are most noticeable is on your nose. The thinner skin and exposure to environmental dirt and debris make this area especially vulnerable. Clearing and reducing the appearance of enlarged pores on your nose and cheeks may be purely cosmetic, but it can have an impact on your self-esteem. Dr. Dimitry Rabkin, practicing at his medical spa in Englewood, New Jersey, understands that the boost to your self-esteem sometimes makes a world of difference. At Esthetica MD it is our goal to help you love the skin you’re in.
What Causes Enlarged Pores?
Your skin releases a natural oil called sebum, which flows up to the surface of the skin through your pores. The oils combine with any dirt, environmental debris or makeup present which causes a build up of these substances that eventually stretches your pores. The result of this build up leads to enlarged pores filled with what are known as blackheads and whiteheads. Oily skin, with its extra sebum production, can heavily contribute to the appearance of enlarged pores.
A proper skin care regimen that is personalized to your skin type and goals is essential in the battle against enlarged pores. You may be unknowingly contributing to the appearance of enlarged pores by utilizing products that are not personalized to your skin type. A comprehensive consultation with one of our master estheticians, under the guidance of Dr. Rabkin at Esthetica MD, can help narrow down your concerns and goals and create a treatment plan catered specifically for you.
Treatment for Enlarged Pores
During your consultation you will discuss your skin concerns and desired outcomes with one of our medical estheticians or with Dr. Rabkin, both of whom will provide a thorough assessment of your skin at Esthetica MD.
You will then be presented with a number of options to treat enlarged pores, such as:
- Prescribed retinoids to help exfoliate the skin, which can reduce blackheads and pore size
- Treating your skin with chemical peels including alpha or beta-hydroxy acids to unclog pores, resurface the skin and decrease the size of your pores
- Utilizing microneedling to trigger your skin’s natural healing properties and tighten the pores
- Using red LED light therapy treatments to tighten the skin and refine the appearance of your pores
At-Home Treatment for Enlarged Pores
After your in-office treatment you will be recommended a personalized skin care regimen and any prescriptions, if necessary. Being consistent with a proper skin care regimen and regular facial treatments minimizes the appearance of enlarged pores. Dr. Rabkin may recommend:
- Using a non-comedogenic cleanser with warm or cool water to balance oil production
- Continuing prescribed retinol to help resurface skin and tighten your pores
- Exfoliating frequently with an alpha or beta-hydroxy acid, which help to remove dead skin cells, dirt and excess oils
- Moisturizing daily with a proper moisturizer to encourage a balanced oil production
- Applying a clay mask twice a week to draw impurities, dirt, leftover makeup, and oils from deep inside your pores
- Removing makeup and cleansing before bed to prohibit clogged pores
- Wearing sunscreen to protect your skin; the more sun damage your face receives, the less capable it becomes to bouncing back and retaining firmness
- Reducing stress whenever possible
- Refraining from picking at your skin and digging in your pores or squeezing inflamed areas, as these activities increase the noticeability of enlarged pores and inhibit their ability to shrink
- Avoiding pore-clogging cosmetics and cleansing products
At Esthetica MD you’ll find many options for combating and reducing the appearance of enlarged pores. Dr. Rabkin in Englewood, NJ enjoys finding the perfect combination of products and treatments to give you the most radiant glow possible. Schedule your consultation to start on your journey toward healthier, natural-looking skin.