When you start thinking about getting ready for prom, you have to start thinking about getting your skin looking perfect. Makeup does NOT look good on problem skin. That is a fact. While we can make some imperfections less noticeable with makeup, covering texture, bumps & acne is difficult even with the best foundation.
Here are 5 steps you can start taking now to help your skin look flawless on Prom Day.
1. CLEANSE your face twice-a-day with a gentle cleanser, then apply a non-comedogenic moisturizer, preferably one with a SPF of 25 or higher. Don’t over-cleanse your skin- this can strip the skin of its protective layer and cause redness and irritation. For acne prone skin, look for products containing Salicylic Acid or Benzoyl Peroxide. Our faves are Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser and Clear Cell Medicated Acne Facial Scrub by Image Skincare. For moderate to severe acne you may want to see a dermatologist for a prescription medication or try one of our in-house acne busting procedures like Isolaz, which suctions out sebum while simultaneously zapping acne causing bacteria.
2. DO NOT POP, PICK OR RUB your pimples, this can cause the area to be infected, worsen the condition and possibly leave a scar. Instead, use a spot treatment that will dry out the pimple and allow it to heal. In some cases you may also ask your doctor for a steroid shot (corticosteroid injection) to flatten out big pimples quickly.
3. GOT BLACKHEADS? They’re super common, especially on teen skin. Try visiting one of our certified aestheticians to get them extracted. Facials like our Just for Teens Facial are geared toward making teen skin glow. However, don’t wait until right before prom to get your skin worked on. Plan a facial for at least a month in advance, because while facials are helpful in making your skin look smoother, post-extraction redness and breakouts are normal.
4. DRINK UP. Water is your new best friend. Ditch the cola, cut back on coffee and trade any other sugary or caffeinated drink for water. Even just a little dehydration can cause skin to look dull. If you want a radiant complexion for prom, get in the hydration habit now.
5. PROTECT. While it might not be beach or pool weather yet, it’s still important to wear sunscreen daily. Overexposure to the sun causes everything from premature aging and sun spots to skin cancer. Find a product with light texture and wear daily. We like a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen that’s easy to apply and stays put all day. Try Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20, Prevention + Daily Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20.